We are currently recruiting for Summer 2022 undergraduate and graduate students to apply for the UC Merced FARMERS program.
Applications are due at 11:59pm PCT on May 6, 2022.
The program supports undergraduate students by providing a paid research internship for research and experiential learning about agriculture and engagement in education. The amount is: $3000 summer and $3000 academic year.
The USDA-funded HSI Education Scholarship UC Merced FARMERS program fund your research and unique agricultural education experiences and opportunities.
For consideration, please provide:
- your statement of interest, including research, anticipated career goals and interest in agriculture (250 words),
- your unofficial transcript, and
- name of faculty who will host you in their lab.
Please confirm with your faculty research advisor and mentor before applying that they will host you and provide a letter describing what you will be doing in their lab.
Selected candidates will be required to participate in all program activities including our outreach program with local schools (4th and 5th graders) as well as seminars and meetings and the summer agriculture immersion program.
The program supports students by providing one year of complete financial support (final amount varies by grad group), including summer funding, funds for conference travel and up to $1000 for research supplies and experiential learning about agriculture and engagement in education.
Preference is given to graduate students who are close to completing their degrees (MS or PhD) but still have 12 months of academic eligibility left.
Graduate students apply via this form. You will need:
- A letter from your primary faculty mentor describing your potential for a career in ag-related sciences and confirming your expected graduation date,
- An approximately 1000-word essay covering: a) the scope of work for your research proposal, b) how it relates to advancing agriculture, and c) how this program will enhance your career goals, and
- A pdf of an unofficial transcript.
Selected candidates will be required to participate in all program activities including our outreach program with local schools (4th and 5th graders) as well as meetings and seminars and the summer agriculture immersion program.